2009/9/16 Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com>:

> William Stein wrote:
>
>> I did write a lot of stats in Cython already, and it's much faster
>> than both R and scipy.stats at what it does (at least last time I
>> checked).  This is all the code in Sage's finance.TimeSeries...
>> It's very specialized though compared to what is offered by Scipy/R.
>>   Anyway, the one time I seriously wanted to do a lot of stats, I
>> found scipy.stats and R to both be way way too slow, so had to write
>> my own in Cython.
>

> Do you know how your code compared to gsl in speed?

No.

> Were you talking to R via pexpect?

No but it wouldn't matter.   The main thing I benchmarked was
computing the standard deviation of about a million (or more) numbers.
    I spent hours tracking down why R was much slower (at least 10
times) than what anybody could implement in 5 minutes in Cython, and
it was because so far as I can tell (at the time) R's standard
deviation was implemented in terms of a general n-dimensional
covariance (?) function.  The function was so general that it slowed
down a lot compared to naive code in the special case of 1-dimensional
data.  I looked at numpy and it was also slower for much the same
reason.   This could have all changed by now, as this was about 2
years ago.

I was also very interested in generating many numbers at random that
are normally distributed.

William

--
William Stein