Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> I've created an update of prereq from 0.3 to 0.4 which does the
> preliminary checks of the Sage build.
>
> http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/7021

I've updated that again, taking into account some comments.

* Check's for the program 'ar' as that is needed.

* Inform a user there is no support for Cygwin, but there is active work
to support Cygwin.

* More complex testing of the compiler version, and what it does. This
should help anyone wishing to fix ratpoints, without risking allowing
anyone to mess up their build, unless they are blind!

i) Exits with a message gcc is too old if the gcc version is below 3.4.0
ii) Exits with a message the compiler is too buggy, if the gcc version
is 4.0.0
iii) Warns the user that gcc will not build Sage, but allows the build
to continue for gcc 3.4.x. This will allow ratpoints to be debugged,
without allowing a casual user to build with a gcc 3.4.x by mistake.
iv) Allows the build to continue if gcc is version 4.0.1 or later.

* Credits William with writing the version 0.3 of prereq.

* No longer checks for 'xtar' - it was a leftover by mistake.

* No longer checks if the linker is the GNU linker or not. My check was
not reliable and I'll wait until I have something better before adding that.

* Makes the message about using the latest XCode on Darwin a bit more
obvious - before it could easily have been missed.

Please download and test from

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/Solaris-fixes/prereq-0.4/

rather than the attachments to the ticket.

I've added Minh as an author, as he tidied up quite a bit. Unfortunately
that means he cant review it, but I hope someone else will.

This really has the potential to find lots of bugs in Sage, so I'd like
to see it in asap, though I think I've missed any chance for 4.1.2.

Dave