On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:53 AM, David Harvey <dmhar...@cims.nyu.edu> wrote:

> I am confused. I want to release bernmm 1.1 under the (modified) BSD
> license. It depends on NTL, which is GPL-licensed. Can I do this?

Yes, definitely.

> Or am I forced to release bernmm under GPL?

Definitely not.

If you are going to distribute your program (which you are), then you
must release it under a GPL-compatible license.  The (modified) BSD
license is GPL-compatible.  Thus you can release it under the BSD
license.

>From the FAQ David just pointed to: "you must release your program
under a license compatible with the GPL (more precisely, compatible
with one or more GPL versions accepted by all the rest of the code in
the combination that you link)."

Just for comparison, if you were forced to release bernmm under GPL,
then I would similarly be forced to get every BSD'd component of Sage
to be relicensed under the GPL in order to include them in Sage.

William