On Oct 22, 2009, at 5:42 PM, John H Palmieri wrote:

> On Oct 22, 5:11 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well like it or not, it is a fact that 0.0^0.0 = 1 *is* the official
>> ISO 99 standard.  Note that ISO = "international standards
>> organization".
>>
>> I'm not making an argument here for or against this.  But there is no
>> arguing with it being an official standard as dictated by an
>> international standards organization for perhaps the worlds most
>> popular programming language (C/C++).
>
> There is a question about whether we, as mathematicians, should
> automatically accept as standards something designated for use in a
> programming language.  I know that Sage is a programming environment,
> but shouldn't it reflect mathematical truth, not computer programming
> standards?

I actually remember going through and fixing a whole bunch of rings
that didn't raise errors on 0^0--most of them were just an oversight.
(I think Tom Boothby was there too...) For Integers this was
explicitly changed back to be like Python and MPFR
http://hg.sagemath.org/sage-main/diff/fa97eed25973/sage/rings/integer.pyx
  . I'd rather have an error in most cases (especially for finite
fields) but consistency with the (Python) environment does have its
merits, if just to reduce confusion.

- Robert