>  * Compose a literate Sage program foo.rst in reST, using "sage:"
> prompts for code.
>
>  * Have "sage foo.rst" execute just the code, like doctesting.

it does not work, sage does not understand plain rst like this:
---> cut <---
Title 1
=======

some explanations for the code

     sage: var('x y') # define variables
     sage: f = x + y # define functions
     sage: # other funny stuff

some more explanation
with *rst markup*

     sage: def somefunction(x):
     sage:     return x / 2

     sage: # use new function
     sage: print somefunction(1)
---> cut <---

or you mean something else?

>  * To go from worksheet to script, export with "sage:" prompts.

I did not find "export" option. "File... / Download to a file..."
produces *.sws bundle, button "Text" shows html markup for the text.
in both cases it is not obvious how to use it as a script without
further edit. could you explain in more details?

>  * And, perhaps, configure markItUp
>
>      http://markitup.jaysalvat.com/home/
>
>    to edit reST in a browser and process it on-the-fly on the server.

it is not a good option for me. I prefer to use emacs for script
editing and run it from command line (it saves a lot of time).