Hi there,

in the thread

    http://is.gd/4EMT8

David and I agreed that M4RI should have a better, more robust and cross-
platform mechanism to check for cache sizes.

Thus I wrote a little C program to check for the cache size using timings of
random-ish memory access.

The program is available at:

  http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/malb/cache.c

On my Core 2 Duo and on my Opteron (both running Linux 64-bit) it does report
correct sizes. So far so good. On sage.math it reports L3 cache size instead
of L2 but I guess that this is probably what we want anyway (well, L2 is 3MB
which I don't check explicitly since I only check powers of two)

I'd appreciate if those people on this list who have different hardware or
software (OSX, Solaris, PPC, Sparc) could compile the program and report back
whether the program reports correct sizes for them. To compile and run:

  gcc -std=c99 -O3 cache.c -o cache
  ./cache

Cheers,
Martin