I agree.  The situation is far from uniform, and while parts of sage
are quite mature, others need enough work that supporting long-term
compatibility seems counterproductive.

One thing that helps is having python as a model for core
functionality, for example lists.  Your stories of Maple
incompatibilities are unlikely with sage since they are unlikely with
python.

The current policy of 1 year + major release seems reasonable to me in
practice.  It might make sense to lengthen that in a few years though.

-Marshall