SVG looks useful.  But it doesn't work on Internet Explorer without
special software.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Vector_Graphics

When I developed a Java applet, I had to spend great amounts of time
researching the idiosyncrasies of different browsers on how to embed a
Java applet with parameters.  Since first being exposed to Java, the
<applet> tag had been deprecated, adding difficulty.

Then I learned that some operating systems don't have the latest
version of the Java Virtual Machine, and that some mice do not have a
right button.

If using JS (and related libraries) on all platforms may require extra
plugins, would Java make more sense, or do I just need to find ways to
use JS effectively?

Does anyone have any general suggestions on how I might want to
develop a GUI with animation and mouse interaction with JS?

Kevin Stueve