Hi !

With the forthcoming bunch of sage-combinat patches, to test a parent we call
        sage: TestSuite(P).run()
which by default returns nothing if everything is ok and raise an
        AssertionError
if not. There is also a verbose mode
        sage: TestSuite(P).run(verbose=True)
        running ._test_an_element() .. done
        running ._test_some_elements() .. done
which shows what is actually tested. In many places of sage doctests, for
example in the documentation of the categories, we want to show this
information because it is useful to the user: he needs to know what is really
tested in the consistency testing of a say a ring. See e.g. the TestSuite of
the SymmetricGroup
        sage:sga = SymmetricGroup(3)
        sage: TestSuite(sga).run(verbose=True)
        running ._test_an_element() .. done
        running ._test_associativity() .. done
        running ._test_element_pickling() .. done
        running ._test_inverse() .. done
        running ._test_len() .. done
        running ._test_not_implemented_methods() .. done
        running ._test_one() .. done
        running ._test_pickling() .. done
        running ._test_prod() .. done
        running ._test_some_elements() .. done
So far so good.

The problem is if you add a tests at a very low level of the category
hierarchy, then you have to adapt all those doctests (I'm trying to add a test
that check that __len__ does not anything stupid (e.g. looping forever) in any
parent). This could be doable with a script but I don't like updating doctests
automatically. Since this is something which will happen constantly during the
expansion of the category infrastructure, I thing we should streamline the
solution of this problem.

So I'm looking for any idea or suggestion.

Cheers,

Florent