On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 7:04 PM, rjf <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's helpful.  Forgive me for asking for information.  I see,
> somewhat later, that this has to do with adding type declarations.
> Just the ticket.  To me is suggests that Python is inappropriate for
> numerical work -- for which C is more appropriate.

Indeed, Python is inappropriate for programming anything which is
cpu-intensive. IMHO, were not for cython/pyrex, sage would be doomed.
Actually, I believe pyrex is one of the main reasons William settled
with python for sage.

> And so the veneer
> of Python is insufficient.  Of course using (optional) declarations in
> Lisp helps some compilers to produce better numerical code. Some of
> that code generation (depending on the Lisp system) is even done with
> C as an intermediary.  And has been done that way since, oh, 1984 or
> so.

The goal of Python/Cython is to code with  *less* parenthesis than C.
Other than that, it's probably the same venerable idea.

Gonzalo