mhampton wrote:
> I thought that Mark McClure's post on another thread raised some
> interesting issues, and that it was worth responding to, but it was so
> tangential that it deserves a seperate thread:
>
> """
> But William, just two days ago on sage-support you wrote:
> "Let's put Mathworks out of business."

I can't find the link, as the URL you gave points to an error message. Only
William can tell you his beliefs, but I do not think William would actually
want
to put Mathworks out of business. I know I personally would not. It was
probably
more as a joke.

I've had a number of discussions with Wolfram Research employees, and most are
nice people. They have mortgages to pay, children to feed etc. I have a huge
respect for Daniel Lichtblau of Wolfram Research, as he clearly knows his
subject, but does not come out with a load of hype. The sales patter from some
other WRI employees can get a bit much though.

It would be a very sad day if Wolfram Research went out of business.

I've commented before, that I doubt CPUs would be as good as they are today if
there was not competition between Intel and AMD. Competition is a good thing.
It
motivates people to innovate.

I find it hard to believe Sage will not have a negative impact on the sales of
Mathematica, but I certainly hope Sage does not put Wolfram Research out of
business. I very much doubt it will either.

Dave