John, Robert, George,

Is your version of sage an upgrade from a previous version
of sage?  Rather than do that, I am building sage from source,
specifically the sage-4.2.1.tar source.  And sage from
source does NOT have the patch.  Specifically,
sage-sage from source has lines 369-416:

if [ $1 = '-sh'  -o $1 = '--sh' ]; then
    # AUTHORS:
    #   Carl Witty and William Stein: initial version
    #   Craig Citro: add options for not loading profile
    cd "$CUR"
    shift
    echo ""
    echo "Starting subshell with Sage environment variables set."
    echo "Be sure to exit when you are done and do not do anything"
    echo "with other copies of Sage!"
    echo ""
    SHELL_NAME=`basename $SHELL`
    echo "Bypassing shell configuration files ..."
    echo
    # We must start a new shell with no .profile or .bashrc files
    # processed, so that we know our path is correct
    PS1="${PWD}\nsage subshell$ "
    export PS1
    case $SHELL_NAME in
        bash)
            SHELL_OPTS=" --norc"
            ;;
        csh)
            SHELL_OPTS=" -f"
            ;;
        ksh)
            SHELL_OPTS=" -p"
            ;;
        sh)
            SHELL_OPTS=" --norc"
            ;;
        tcsh)
            SHELL_OPTS=" -f"
            ;;
        zsh)
            SHELL_OPTS=" -f -d"
            ;;
        *)
            echo "Unknown shell: $SHELL!"
            echo "Exiting Sage."
            exit 1
    esac

    $SHELL_NAME $SHELL_OPTS "$@"

    echo Exited Sage subshell.
    exit $?
fi

This does NOT have the patch applied.

Have I found a bug in the sage distribution process?

Mariah