Craig Citro wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> First, I want to thank you for all the work you've been doing to get
> Sage to play nicely on Sun and HP-UX recently. I think that's really
> helpful, and in particular, I think some of the comments you make
> below are definitely things that will help Mike (or anyone else) make
> lcalc better.

Thank you.

> That said, I think you're often extremely rude in the way you phrase
> things, either on purpose or by accident. For instance:
>
>> I have been less than impressed with lcalc itself.
>>

> Really? Have you used it to compute any zeros of L-functions? Have you
> found that it's slow at computing values of L(s,f) for certain modular
> forms? Are you unhappy with Mike's code involving the approximate
> functional equation? Or are you just unhappy that it's failing to
> build on your particular OS/hardware configuration? Mike doesn't seem
> to keep a list of "supported platforms" on the lcalc webpage anywhere;
> maybe he's part of the vast majority of people who don't use a Solaris
> machine as one of his development platforms.

I apologise if it came across that way. It was not my intension. I guess I
sometimes let my frustration get the better of me.

> In short, I think "builds on a variety of hard-to-find Unix systems"
> is a metric that's much less important than "performs some interesting
> mathematical computation correctly."

There is evidence to show a positive correlation between bugs and compiler
warnings. I can not say this

http://www.springerlink.com/content/317x276846767585/

is the best scientific paper I have ever read, but it shows a statistically
significant positive correlation between compiler warnings and the number of
changes to a file. Papers it reference show a correlation between bugs and
changes to a file.

(One of the main weaknesses of the paper is that the reasons for the changes
are
not known. A file could be changed a lot, simply as new functionality is
added.)
However, often files get changed a lot, when they have problems, which keep
needing to be addressed.

Some real bugs I have found in Sage are the result of testing on multiple
platforms. I know a bug which only showed up on AIX in

http://atlc.sourceforge.net/

was in fact a real bug that could have appeared on any platform. A colleague of
mine found out a bug which could have given incorrect results on his linux box,
but just never showed up until he tested on Solaris.

I personally feel it is inappropriate to cover up warning messages from a
compiler or assembler by using options to do this, or by redirecting the
outputs
of the compilation process to /dev/null.

Perhaps my judgment is wrong, but I personally have greater than average
confidence in a program like mpfr, where

* It is clear the developers take time to test it on multiple platforms
* It does not generate many compiler warnings
* It has an extensive test suite.

But once again, I appologise for any unintended rudeness.

dave