Michael Rubinstein wrote:
> Thanks for the update.
>
> I've spent the past few weeks making major improvements to lcalc.
> I plan to release this updated version in a few weeks.
>
> 1) I got rid of the deprecated header files and the unused variables
> so it compiles much cleaner.

Excellent

> 3) I wrote my own cos and sin which is 4 times faster than my machine's (at
> least
> on my core2 laptop) and more than twice as fast Bailey's. It uses table a
> lookup table of Taylor series. I spent two days hacking it as much as I could.
> This makes some key routines 2-3 times faster.

I would suggest this is something that can be a configurable parameter, or
perhaps tested at compile time. These sorts of things are often dramatically
better on one machine than another.

I remember many years ago, needing lots of sines and cosines, but I did not
need
huge accuracy - every 0.1 degrees or so was good enough. It was much faster to
generate a look up table, store that in RAM, rather than use the floating point
processor to compute them each time.

On other systems, it was faster to compute them using sin() and cos() rather
than look them up in a table.

I've never used any sophisticated techniques like you are using, but I would
not
be surprised if a simple library call was not faster on one platform or
processor.

Dave