On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:42:43 strogdon wrote:
>  Now when I unpack the sage-4.2.1.spkg tarball and insert
>
> unset CFLAGS
> unset CXXFLAGS
>
> near the top of the spkg-install script, repackage the tarball and
> issue the above 'make' with custom CFLAGS; both sage and the
> documentation build and 'sage -c quit' returns no errors. By altering
> spkg-install in the above fashion every package in sage is exposed to
> the custom CFLAGS with the exception of sage-4.2.1.spkg. A similar
> hack to unset CFLAGS for the amd64 architecture
> is utilized by Christopher Schwan and Francois Bissey (http://
> github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo) to build a partially split sage. It
> would appear that these custom amd64 flags cannot be used to
> successfully build the sage-4.2.1.spkg tarball. Is there any known
> reason why these custom CFLAGS cannot be used? Gentoo custom flags for
> 32 bit architectures do not seem to have this build problem. On an
> amd64 laptop I have, the CFLAGS setting
>
> CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O2 -pipe"
>
> also results in a sage that fails.

I am biting Steve. The current filtering in the ebuild is a terribly
gross. We have compiler flag filtering functions.
Although I think your question is interesting some flags cause
a failure in the compilation of the sage spkg (doesn't spkg-install
provide its own flags overriding yours?).
We should try to find what exactly is causing the fault. Can you try without
the -march=k8 please? If you are using >=gcc-4.3 could you also try
-march=native?

Francois