On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:40 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Robert Bradshaw
>> <rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
>>> I think the basic idea was that one could write a faster (sparse and
>>> dense) graph "core," and then run all the NetworkX algorithms on top
>>> of it as long as it supported the interface (for manipulating and
>>> querying vertices and edges). If some code was still too slow then it
>>> would be moved down to C (hopefully it would be sufficient to declare
>>> the graphs as c-graphs and compile with Cython to remove all the
>>> Python function call overhead). I don't know how well this works at
>>> the moment.
>>>

>> Is there any particular reason why this code couldn't be contributed
>> upstream to Networkx?  I use networkx outside of Sage, and it would be
>> great to have speed improvements made there as well; since Sage
>> already ships nx it would obviously benefit regardless.
>>
>> There may be a good reason for not doing so, I'm just curious.  From
>> my perspective, the more Sage work also benefits upstream projects,
>> the more impact it has and more people benefit from it, both those who
>> use Sage directly and those who may use those projects outside of
>> Sage.  Obviously in some cases this isn't viable (dependencies on core
>> Sage code are an obvious one), hence my question.
>
> One potential problem is that all the Sage graph theory code is GPL'd,
> but Networkx is now BSD licensed (it used to be GPL'd).    Given that
> graph theory in Sage is an area with a lot of possibly unfriendly
> competition with Magma and Mathematica, the GPL license is appropriate
> for us for that part of Sage.
>
> A second potential problem is that all the code we're talking about is
> written in Cython, whereas Networkx is a pure Python library (I
> think?).
>
>  -- William

I also recall that the way Networkx switched from LGPL to BSD made me
uncomfortable.  They sent an email to their list and said something
like: "we're switching from the LGPL to the BSD license; if you have a
problem with that please respond within 10 days".  That wasn't the
exact wording, but it was something like that.
http://www.mail-archive.com/sage-devel@googlegroups.com/msg27341.html

The biggest problem we have wrt Networkx right now is on our end --
Sage still ships a very old version, because Networkx's API changed a
huge amount and it was so far too difficult to change Sage to work
with the new API.   I hope somebody will fix this soon, since the
longer we wait the harder it becomes.

William