Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> Jaap Spies wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> First I installed Solaris 5.11 from an oldish CD Solaris Express Developer
>> Edition.
>> This looked ok, but is useless because there is no support as this is
>> superseded
>> by Open Solaris.
>>
>> Next I downloaded Open Solaris 2009/06 x86. Works like a charm. Building
>> sage failed.
>>
>> Downloaded Solaris 10, installed in VirtualBox, could run it, but ...
>>
>> Reminded me at the old days: at some time 1986-1989 I was a heayvy SUN user.
>> Founded the SUG-NL (Sun User Group The Netherlands) early 1987.
>>
>> On Solaris 10 I can only login as root. I forgot a lot about how to sysadmin
>> a SunOs :(
>>
>> Lookin now at http://wiki.sagemath.org/solaris
>>
>> What can I do? Dave?
>>
>> Jaap
>
> Hi Jaap,
>
> it's really pleased me to someone have a go at Sage on Open Solaris.
> Sometimes I
> feel I'm the only one working on the Solaris build.

Ok, Open Solaris I'll focus on.

> As stated at
>
> http://wiki.sagemath.org/solaris
>
> Open Solaris does not build. There are several issues I am aware. I'd suggest
> the following approach might be worth taking, but there may be better ones.
> You
> need to get at least the following
>
>    * A recent gcc
>    * GNU make
>    * GNU binutils
>    * OpenSSL libraries.

My gcc is too old

j...@opensolaris:~/Downloads/sage-4.3$ make --version
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i386-pc-solaris2.11

> You can do this from the source code, using the the included gcc 4.3.2, or
> download them via the Package manager (on the System ->  Administration) after
> adding a repository.
>
> http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev/

Ok, thanks.

> Use that one, as while not as stable, it has more packages than the default
> opensolaris.org repository.
>
> That will allow you to download GNU make.

Is the make mentioned above too old?

> As far as I know, Open Solaris has no recent gcc unless you use some.  Check
> gcc
> --version, but if it is 3.4.3, which I expect it will be, then it is not going
> to build Sage.

Reading specs from /usr/sfw/lib/gcc/i386-pc-solaris2.11/3.4.3/specs
Configured with: /builds2/sfwnv-111a/usr/src/cmd/gcc/gcc-3.4.3/configure
--prefix=/usr/sfw --with-as=/usr/sfw/bin/gas --with-gnu-as
--with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld
--without-gnu-ld --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,objc --enable-shared
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.3 (csl-sol210-3_4-20050802)

So yes, it won't work.

> You could download gcc 4.3.2 using the Package Manager, or you could build it
> from source. Note I believe it might install with the version number appended
> the names (gcc+4.3.2 etc) if you use the Package Manager. In which case you
> will
> have to rename them, as many packages in Solaris ignore CC and CXX, so there
> is
> little point setting them.
>
> Personally I buit gcc from source.

I used to do this on different platforms. I'll go for it, but it will take some
time.

> bash-3.2$ /usr/local/gcc-4.3.4/bin/gcc -v
> Reading specs from
> /usr/local/gcc-4.3.4/bin/../lib/gcc/i386-pc-solaris2.11/4.3.4/specs
> Target: i386-pc-solaris2.11
> Configured with: ../gcc-4.3.4/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-4.3.4/
> --with-as=/usr/local/binutils-2.20/bin/as --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld
> --without-gnu-ld --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 4.3.4 (GCC)
>
> 5) Build OpenSSL - the defaults seem to work well, and produce a 64-bit
> binary.
> It installs in /usr/local/ssl, which is fine, as python, which needs the
> library, looks in.
>
> Again, you can use the package manager to install that for you.
>
> 6) Although I've not tried it, I would be tempted to export SAGE64 to 'yes'
> and
> go directly for a 64-bit build.
>
> 7) Type make. You will probably hit this bug.
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7387
>
> There is a hack listed to get rid of that.
>
> 8) Hopefully you wont hit bug
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7761
>
> as you would have installed OpenSSL libraries.
>
> At that point, you will be up with me really. I've not got much further than
> that. I posted a list the other day of packages which do and do not build. I
> used
>
> $ make -k
>
> to skip over errors.
>
> One problem is that SAGE64 is not handled properly in many pacakges, so if you
> go for a 64-bit build, you hit that problem. If you use a 32-bit build, I
> can't
> get a stable python, as the OpenSSL will not pass their self-tests if you try
> force a 64-bit build of them.
>
> Hopefully that gives you some ideas, but it seems quite a way from actually
> building.
>
> If I can get
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7505
>
> reviewed, then make some changes to sage-env, it should be possible to get rid
> of all this SAGE64 stuff in each spkg-install. That will make the process
> somewhat easier. But it looks like it might be a struggle. Even HP-UX looks
> easier!
>
> Dave

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

Jaap