I'm posting this to (1) share what I've learned by reading a lot over
the last little while, and (2) ask for advice from people that have
thought a lot about licensing of books and notes.

I'm looking at different licenses for a Sage-enhanced set of notes, in
the spirit of the CCLI grant proposal that was posted here a few days
ago (please go read it and make comments! [1] :).  I see these notes as
incorporating Sage code in examples, like you see in William's number
theory book or other tutorials that we've seen in various places.

I've spent a while reading up on licenses, and it seems that there are
three good possibilities for an "open" license that would allow others
to make modifications and freely redistribute the result:

1. GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
2. Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0
3. plain old GPL

GFDL and CC-by-sa are not compatible with GPL, so if I wanted the notes
to be distributed with Sage (so the examples turn into doctests, etc.),
if I went with (1) or (2), I'd have to dual-license the notes with GPL.
  However, several organizations have just adopted plain GPL for their
documents ([2], maybe Debian too?).  GNU does not encourage licensing
documents with GPL [3], though.

The major difference I see between GFDL and CC-by-sa is that CC-by-sa
does not have the requirement that the source be distributed with the
work.  I like that (I really wish there was a CC-by-sa-src, with that
added requirement).  However, it seems that there are lots of problems
with the GFDL license, not the least of which is the incompatibility
with GPL.  See [4] or [5]).

So what do others do that have written notes that hopefully will
eventually be distributed with Sage think?

Thanks,

Jason

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/3e9f66cf3fc3405f#