Minh Nguyen wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 4:54 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
> <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> (I normally tend to extract the file, then
>> increment the patch number, so I'd be editing
>> $SAGE_ROOT/spkg/standard/foobar-1.0.p0/spkg-install
>
> That sounds sensible.
>

>> Martin Albrecht added a patch for me to
>>
>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7505
>>
>> which adds two new files
>>
>> $SAGE_ROOT/spkg/base/testcc.sh
>> $SAGE_ROOT/spkg/base/testcxx.sh
>>
>> I noticed the diff is relative to /dev/null That patch needs updating now.
>> I'm
>> not sure the best way to do that.
>
> As you said on ticket #7505, your latest attachments "testcc.sh" and
> "testcxx.sh" are updated versions of previous attachments. I
> understand that Martin's patch "trac_7505.patch" is a patch file for
> your earlier test scripts. Now that you have attached newer versions
> of the test scripts, I think it's not necessary to also update
> Martin's patch. What you can do is create a new patch from your
> updated test scripts. Without using Mercurial, this can be done as
> follows:
>
> [mv...@t2 trac-7505]$ diff -u /dev/null testcc.sh > testcc.diff
> [mv...@t2 trac-7505]$ diff -u /dev/null testcxx.sh > testcxx.diff
> [mv...@t2 trac-7505]$ cat testcc.diff testcxx.diff >
> trac_7505-test-scripts.patch
> [mv...@t2 trac-7505]$ ls
> testcc.diff                   testcxx.sh
> testcc.sh                     trac_7505-test-scripts.patch
> testcxx.diff
>
> So you can now upload "trac_7505-test-scripts.patch" to the trac server.
>

>> There's nothing in the patch which would
>> suggest where the files go, though it is explained in the ticket, and the
>> reason
>> why.
>
> I see that you and Martin have agreed to place the test scripts under
>
> SAGE_ROOT/spkg/base

> Martin's patch was probably produced somewhere outside of the Sage
> directory tree. But I think that doesn't matter in this case. To apply
> a patch using "patch" and without using hg, you download the patch
> file to the relevant directory and use the "patch" command. I admit
> that doing something like this

Thank you. I've put the patch on the server. If you have a spare minute,
perhaps
you could review it. A few people have looked at it, and Peter Jeremy has made
some significant changes, so he can no longer review it. I'd like to get it
into
Sage asap, as then one can develop a better solution to this 64-bit issue with
spkg-install scripts, where some of them only work on OS X, and some work on
any
platform.

Once we know what *compiler* someone is using, we can determine what is the
appropriate option to build a 64-bit executable - if any are needed.

I don't know of a linux box which has Sun Studio installed, but if there was
one, the scripts should report 'Sun_Studio'. I'm unable to test on every
platform, but they work on any I have tried.

> patch < trac_7505.patch
>
> is OK under Linux. But on Solaris, I have trouble using "patch" as the
> above command is more chatty. It's a common experience, I think, of
> people like myself who are transitioning to using non-GNU tools on
> Unix.

Yes, there are differences, and they can be annoying some times. That has been
very much the history of Unix in general - many versions all a bit different.

I do not know how accurate this diagram on Wikipedia is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Unix_history-simple.en.svg

but it gives at least some idea of how influence each other. I've never even
heard of 'OpenServer' until I looked at that diagram, though I know of SCO unix
from which it is derived. I've also used one commerical distribution of Unix,
which is not on that diagram. But I can't even recall what it was called. It
was
similar to SCO unix, and run on x86 PCs. It came on 5.25" floppy disks -
probably before your time!

Linux is following that tradition, with many distributions, all a bit different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution

says there are over 600 distributions, with over 300 of them maintained. I do
not know how true that is.

But I personally prefer to use just POSIX options, then I can be 99% sure they
will work on any platform. Even systems which are not fully POSIX compliant,
usually support those options.

Dave