Jaap Spies wrote:

> You mentioned gcc-4.4.2 on the wikipage on Solaris.
> But is you have a better suggestion?

The truth is I do not know what is best. There appears to be some issues with
4.2 perhaps 4.3 series if the Sun assembler is used. A google on the error
messages suggested using the GNU assembler. But the problem was supposed to
have
been fixed in more recent GCCs. I'm not exactly sure what the status is.

As far as I am aware, there is nothing in Sage which should depend on the
assembler. There are some things which will depend on what linker is used, but
believe either linker should work, but I'd trust the Sun one more.

> gmake is installed, in sage-bin I now have the right versions of make and tar.

OK, that sounds good.