Actually, I think it is, even though I agree it shouldn't be. For example:

[boxen ~] $ sage
| Sage Version 4.3, Release Date: 2009-12-24                         |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
sage: maxima(5)
5
sage: exit
Exiting SAGE (CPU time 0m0.07s, Wall time 0m16.09s).
Exiting spawned Maxima process.
[boxen ~] $ sage
| Sage Version 4.3, Release Date: 2009-12-24                         |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
sage: maxima(5)
5
sage: sage.calculus.calculus.maxima(5)
5
sage: exit
Exiting SAGE (CPU time 0m0.08s, Wall time 1m5.56s).
Exiting spawned Maxima process.
Exiting spawned Maxima process.
[boxen ~] $

Notice the two spawned Maxima processes in the second one ...

-cc