To some extent, these problems might go away if people used
nolabels:true in the files that they wrote to define their packages.
Then the the names that they leave around might be more likely to
be the names that they deliberately left around, and not the auto-
generated
names like C1, D1, %i1, %o2, ... used for labels.

Yes, a more elaborate solution involving name spaces
would allow programmer A to leave around names that programmer
B could use or not, but would not be likely to interfere by accident.

I think the common lisp standard for name spaces leaves a lot
to be desired, and there are elaborations of it (e.g. hierarchical)
that would be better.