The issue William mentioned got me thinking that it would be useful to add a web page something like:

"Ideas for student projects"

where things could be listed which would be useful, but where nobody is working on. A bit like this one

http://www.itu.dk/~kfl/student-projects.html

but state that supervisors may have to come from outside the University of Washington.

Adding an entry for "Add distributed computing to Sage" then mention 'dsage', what is is supposed to do, what happened. A few links to other distributed computing systems which may be related

http://qadpz.sourceforge.net/

is one such link. It does not look as though that is maintained either (source is 2003), though there is probably other software out there that can do distributed computing.

http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Computer_Science/Distributed_Computing/

lists several related things. There may be students interested in distributed computing who would attempt that, I would guess as an MSc project, as its probably a bit too much for an undergrad project.

Dave