On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<da...@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:
> Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>>
>> is it possible to make patches, instead/as well as posting full source
>> releases?
>> It took 4+ hours here to download rc0...
>>

> One thing one could try out is to play with rsync over SSH to an account on
> boxen.math. rsync the rc1 file with a local copy of the rc0 tarball, and
> have rsync deal with computing deltas etc.
>
> If that works out well (I'm not sure how much compressed data would change)
> then it's probably a method with lower maintenance overhead than making
> patches.

No, that doesn't help.

What does help, to a certain extent is the following:

boxen$ tar xvf sage-4.3.1.rc1.tar
local$ tar xvf sage-4.3.1.rc0.tar
local$ mv sage-4.3.1.rc0 sage-4.3.1.rc1
local$ rsync -avP boxen:sage-4.3.1.rc1 .
[ ... I had about 97M transfer here IIRC ]
local$ tar cvf sage-4.3.1.rc1.tar sage-4.3.1
local$ rsync -avP boxen:sage-4.3.1.rc1.tar .
[ ... about 1M transfer IIRC ]
local$ md5sum sage-4.3.1.rc1.tar
32f20dbab7aeec8529085ec41bf61552  sage-4.3.1.rc1.tar

This is still way non-optimal, but a big savings anyway (100M transfer
vs. 267M normal download).

The reason it takes so long is because the .spkg files are bzipped --
rsync is baffled about them, so a tiny change in one spkg file ends up
transfering the whole spkg.

It would be *really* an advantage to recursively do the same with the
spkg files themselves, but you better use the same options for bzip!!
(maybe rsync the tree, then tar, then rsync the tar, then bzip, then
rsync the bzip).

Gonzalo