I was a little disappointed that 4.3.1 was released, when I'd made it quite clear there was a *new* problem, introduced since 4.3, which was causing the build on Solaris SPARC to fail, despite earlier versions working on SPARC.

(I marked it as a blocker)

Sage 4.2.1 did build on SPARC, as long as the Sun compilers were not installed. (One part in Sage, chose the Sun C++ compiler in preference to g++, which caused a failure. If the Sun compilers were not available, or their install directory temporarily moved, then Sage 4.2.1 and later would build on Solaris SPARC).

Evidence can be seen here, of Sage running on Solaris SPARC

http://t2nb.math.washington.edu:8000/

The last remaining problem, which allowed Sage to build irrespective of whether the Sun compilers were installed or not, was fixed several weeks ago and merged into sage-4.3.1.alpha0.

I have thought for some time that the frequency of public releases is too fast to allow proper testing. (By public, I mean x.y.z releases, not alpha or release candidate releases).

William has said of the 4.3.1 release "There were billions of tickets closed and bugs fixed"

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/d0468fe68a62c18c

Within less than 5 hours of 4.3.1 being released, there are people saying it does not build on Ubuntu, which is an officially supported platform, on which Sage has for a long time built ok. I'd raised the issue that the earlier release candidate did not build on SPARC, despite older versions building.

Would it not be more sensible to test that a release actually builds properly on supported platforms before making it public? In other words, introduce a much longer delay between the expected final release, and that something actually being released. Its obviously an impossible task for the release managers to do this themselves, but other developers can test versions if they are given time.

On a similar point, I also find it odd that code in the Sage library, which is written by Sage developers, generates so many warnings from the compilers.

Dave