It seemed to be only associated to that cell: if I took the generated code,
copied it into another cell and then made changes in the other cell, the
changes saved correctly.

I tried publishing the worksheet, but that seemed to change the state of the
cell sufficiently so that I can no longer duplicate the problem.

All I can say is that I made a vertex, a couple edges, clicked on the help
button a few times, dragged vertices off the screen to delete them...  and
eventually Saving stopped working.  It works now.  If I manage to duplicate
the bug in a reproducible manner I'll let you know.
David