On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Pat LeSmithe <qed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should we put
>
> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
>
> at the top of all .py and .pyx(?) files in the Sage library?
>
> I think this will allow us to use Unicode literal strings in Sage code,
> doctests, documentation --- without raising coding errors.

With or without the above Unicode preamble, a non-ASCII character in a
docstring can cause the PDF version of a document to fail to build.
See ticket #8036 [1] for an example of a case where a source file
contains the above preamble, but the PDF version of the reference
manual fails to build due to non-ASCII characters in the docstring of
a method.

[1] http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8036

--
Regards