Hello All

Here is a link to a prototype sage desktop app for the Mac.

http://numerator.sourceforge.net/SageApp.dmg

Its 100% native, Cocoa model / view application. On startup, it creates a
background process with the sage notebook server, and users can open as many
windows as they want to it. It also has a console where it dumps the output of
the sage process. As it is a native app, the download is about 100K in size.
Its universal binary, I've tested it on Snow Leopard - core 2 duo, and Leopard
- G4. Will not work with Tiger.

Each window is just hosts a WebKit widget.

The first time it is run, it will ask the user for the location of the sage
runtime, this will typically be:
/Application/sage/sage,

this needs to be the actual sage executable script, you can set this with a
file chooser dialog. If you want to change it in the future, it is stored in
the standard defaults file of
USERNAME/Library/Preferences/org.sagemath.Sage.App.plist

The sage process takes about 5 - 10 seconds to start, when it starts, the first
window will be told to open the localhost:8000 url.

This is a first prototype, it has little functionality currently, will probably
crash, almost certainly has numerous memory leaks, and is FAR, FAR, FAR from
complete, but it is a START.

Note, I am very happy to maintain and update this for the long term.

Eventually, I want to have something that behaves similarly to the Mathematica
desktop, and I think this is certainly possible with a Javascript/HTML5 based
UI hosted in a set of WebKit views, and wrapped in a nice Cocoa app. The backed
end / server is 100% cross platform, the client fits in nicely with the native
desktop. It would be fairly simple for Windows person to come up with a Windows
type app like this, and same for Linux / GTK person.

So, try it out, let me know what features you would like to see.

Where would be a good place to store the source code to this?