On 2010-Feb-03 00:40:47 +0000, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
wrote:
>Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> I'm not sure if SUNWopenssl-libraries is mandatory.  Definitely
>> we don't have the command line interface (the openssl command)
>> installed on our S10 boxes.
>
>With  a few  rare exceptions,  I've  usefully done  full installs  of
>Solaris. It is quite possible you don't have a full install.

That's quite likely.  Of course, someone trying to install Sage on a
S10 box they have lying around is equally [un]likely to have a full
install - which means sage needs to verify pre-requisites at
install/configure time as well as build time.

>I personally believe Sage is on slightly doggy ground with OpenSSL. The FSF
>specifically state the OpenSSL license is not GPL compatible, and OpenSSL is
>hardly a major part of the operating system, so its doubtful we should link
>against it. But others will no doubt see it differently to me.

AFAIK, no-one on this list is a lawyer.  Maybe it's time for William
to have a talk to Washington Uni's General Counsel. (Or, if that might
raise other issues, a chat with some of the School of Law Faculty).

--
Peter Jeremy