On Mar 9, 4:43 am, Rob Beezer <goo...@beezer.cotse.net> wrote:

> An implementation of finite abelian groups would be at the top of my
> list.  Folklore has it many have tried - not sure just where it gets
> hard.

Just a remark on this: I was one of the ones who tried, at Sage Days
16 last summer in Barcelona. The algorithmic aspects are all solved by
William's work on finitely generated Z-modules; all that's left are
interface problems. One of the major difficulties is printing: finding
a "nice" way for group elements to print is like nailing jelly to a
tree, as the saying goes, particularly when you get into elements of
subgroups of abelian groups. (Do they print as elements of the parent
group, or in terms of a new minimal set of generators for the
subgroup?)

David