On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:42:00 +1100, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Third, in many cases, one can open a new ticket to improve the changes
> introduced by a patch from an existing ticket. In such cases, I think
> one can suggest this option to the patch author and leave it to them
> to either incorporate the changes in the current patch, or to open a
> new ticket to implement the change.

To add a small epsilon to Minh's comments: it is fairly common for a
reviewer to add a small reviewer patch fixing docstrings or adding some
examples, etc.  This could be a good alternative to getting frustrated
with the author for not making these changes himself.  I have often
added such a patch, often as a sign of appreciation for the time and
effort the author made already; this is especially important when the
person has indicated that he doesn't have time to pursue the ticket any
further.

And please keep in mind that any single word communicated electronically
can be interpreted along a large range of meanings, in the absence of
other factors such as body language, tone of voice, facial expression;
smileys are not always enough to bridge the gap.  So, as Minh pointed out,
it is *extremely* easy to misinterpret innocent jokes or comments.

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- http://aghitza.org/
Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne -- Australia