Willem Jan Palenstijn wrote:
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 07:36:11PM -0800, Dr David Kirkby wrote:
I've several time had the build on Solairs (on different machines,
with different versions of gcc build by different people) stop with no
warning: Here is a failed build on 't2'

gcc -shared -L/export/home/drkirkby/sage-4.3.4.alpha1/local/lib -I. -
IInclude -I./Include -I/export/home/drkirkby/sage-4.3.4.alpha1/local/
include build/temp.solaris-2.10-sun4u-2.6/export/home/drkirkby/
sage-4.3.4.alpha1/spkg/build/python-2.6.4.p7/src/Modules/readline.o -L/
usr/lib/termcap -L/export/home/drkirkby/sage-4.3.4.alpha1/local/lib -L/
usr/local/lib -lreadline -lcurses -o build/lib.solaris-2.10-sun4u-2.6/
readline.so

There's no error message at all, but the build stops. Typing 'make'
again and things run  fine.

Are you using a parallel build? If so, there might be an error further up.

-Willem Jan

Generally no. I have occasonally run parallel builds, but have tended to avoid them, as I don't trust them.

The python build occasionally stalls at the point shown above, but with no error message at all.

Neither is it a problem with stale NFS shares, as I've noticed this problem on SPARCs with both UFS and ZFS file systems, which do not import/export NFS.

It looks like the code above might be linking the readline library (note the -lreadline) to produce a readline library (note the -o readline.so). That would seem an odd thing to do.

Does the above command look a bit suspicious to you?

Dave