Hi,

Those interested must have found out already that our application as a
GSoC mentoring application was not accepted.

I think we did a good job preparing an application, especially thanks
to Dan Drake, Peter Jeremy, Jason Grout, Harald Schilly, David
Kirkby and Minh Nguyen (please correct me if I missed anyone who
helped with the ideas list). We should take care not to lose the time
spent on this process. Hopefully we can be more organized next year and
get our application accepted.

Even in the preparation process, the GSoC ideas page generated a lot of
interest. It made the libGAP effort more popular and brought proposals
from new comers to implement completely new functionality which could
be useful to a wide audience. Also keeping in mind Jason's suggestion
to reconcile the different ideas list, I have a few suggestions to
provide a better starting point for people who want help out, but
don't know where to start.

- replace the "GSoC 2010" link on the front page of the web site with
  a "Help Wanted" or "Get Involved!" link. The "development" section of
  the site (which should also be revised) is not enough for this.

- move the "mature" ideas to trac and use keywords to tag them. This
  way in order to provide a list of possible projects, we can just link
  to a certain trac query. We need to take care to update the
  description of the tickets with some newbie friendly text and provide
  a contact person and a list of required skills.

  For the GSoC application next year, I'd like to be able to tag some
  ticket with "gsoc" and put a link to trac for the ideas list.

- agree on a tag to indicate "easy" tickets. This would still be sorted
  by component, since the skills depends heavily on the component. This
  would help new people find their way through the hundreds of open
  tickets on trac.

I am willing to do to some of the documentation/wiki editing necessary
to set this up.

Comments?

Burcin