I just stumbled over "Gentoo prefix" -- have any of you tried it out?

In short, it allows a Gentoo "Linux" system in a subdirectory, on Linux, Mac, Windows/SUA, Solaris. Gentoo is thus awfully similar to the Sage spkg system:

 - Installs Unix software in a common prefix location.
 - Package system based on simple shell scripts.

For Sage, it seems like a perfect solution for e.g. easily setting up GNU toolchains on Solaris or Windows/SUA, since somebody else maintains the bootstrapping scripts. (I don't remember whether you require GNU on Solaris now -- on Windows SUA it could definitely be useful if you ever go there).

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/index.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-macos.xml

For my own purposes this might easily repla..*ehrm*..supplement Sage as my scientific Python environment. At least I'm going to try it out for some time. The primary problem now seems to be the requirement of a seperately installed toolchain rather that using the one on the host system; I've asked on the list about that...

--
Dag Sverre