On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 3:13 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We should definitely move to PARI 2.4.  We haven't only because it is
> indeed a monumental task.  Perhaps I'll do the move, since I wrote
> most of the Sage wrapper of PARI anyways, and surely porting is much
> less work than writing the whole wrapper in the first place.      If
> anybody wants to help, please volunteer.  For starters:

I'm willing to help, but not lead, on this effort.

>  * What is the relevant trac ticket?
>
>  * Whoever tried last (Nick?), can they summarize some of the issues
> they encountered.

Yes, please do. What's so significative about the API changes in pari 2.4?

> It could be worth moving straight to the pari 2.4 series for Sage-5.0.

+1

If api changes are indeed relevant, syncing the changes with a 5.0
release of sage seems very sensible.

Note that the latest released version of pari is 2.4.2.alpha, dated
dec/2007... is this what we should aim for, or the svn HEAD?

> In case there is confusion, I had some long chats about Pari 2.4
> versus 2.3 with Karim Belebas (lead Pari dev) last time I was in
> Bordeaux.  The Pari 2.4 series is the one anybody should use if they
> can use it.  It's meant to be solid for normal research applications.
> The reason it is called "unstable" is because the C API is not stable,
> i.e., the PARI devs reserve the right to change the C API from version
> to version.

If the C API is not stable, changes they do may bite the Sage
interface at some point?

Gonzalo