Here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_norm

> The norm on complex numbers is not consistent with viewing the complex
> numbers as a two-dimensional real vector space, according to the definitions
> mentioned above.

One caveat: "the" norm of a two-dimensional real vector space is not
canonical. In contrast, the norm of a two-dimensional field extension
is uniquely defined.

In the case of Sage, the norm of complex numbers is defined as the
norm for the field extension C over R.

Gonzalo