On 07/ 3/10 07:57 PM, Volker Braun wrote:
I believe its

#ifdef __ia64__
// gcc itanium code here
#endif

You would certainly want to add an 'ifdef linux' or similar, since Itanitium processors can run FreeBSD, Windows, HP-UX and probably some other operating systems too. (Sun started a port of Solaris once, but dropped the plans later).

Some patches even depend on the distribution of Linux - I know there is some stuff only applied on openSUSE.

I think many patches in Sage are restricted to only one platform just to simplify the testing and review process. Upstream package would no doubt be better to apply the fix on every platform. But for Sage, if its not causing a problem on Linux or OS X, but ony on Solaris, it will be much easier to get a positive review if reviewers can see that it is only applied on platforms where the problem is experienced.

I recall when iconv got added to Sage, it was done on every platform. Later it was changed to be only Solaris and Cygwin when it became apparent having two copies of iconv could cause problems on some Linux distributions.

Dave