When William started the Sage 5.0 thread yesterday, I said I thought there was an 80% chance of a 64-bit SPARC port by time Sage 5.0 is released at the end of next month

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sage-devel/msg/cbce56100f9b1544

I think I'll increase that to 98% now, as I have actually got Sage working 64-bit on SPARC - see below.

I'm not going to be able to start the doctests today, so doe not know how well this port works. The computer (a Sun Blade 2000 with 2x1200 MHz CPUs and 8 GB RAM) is a bit noisy and upstairs near the bedrooms. So my wife will not want the beast running over night. But as you can see below, Sage does actually now build 64-bit on a Solaris 10 SPARC. So it should build on t2.math 64-bit.

The build is not however 100% perfect, There is a report of 'wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64' in 'scipy_sandbox-20071020.p5, which *SHOULD* have terminated the build, as that *ERROR* message occurs when there is a mix of 32-bit and 64-bit objects. Hence 'scipy_sandbox-20071020.p5' has a bug, as it is continuing to build, and reports it has successfully installed, despite the fact 'make' has failed.

I'll post copies of the necessary .spkg's in the next day or so. Then people like John Palmieri, or anyone else that wants to play around, can have a go at building Sage 64-bit on 't2'. Only .spkg updates are needed - the last of the changes to the library are in the 4.5 series, assuming they are not bounced out - they are merged at the minute.

It's amazing the number of Michael's patches I had had to remove. Just today, I had to remove his patch that deleted the ATLAS shared libraries, which he added supposedly because of a bugs in Numpy and Scipy. I think the problem was he built the libraries incorrectly - when I built them using the Sun linker, they work fine.

I'd love to get the 64-bit OpenSolaris port completed soon. My Sun Blade 2000 SPARC is 8-10 years old, so my 3.33 GHz Xeon Sun Ultra 27 is about 15x faster, has more RAM (12 GB), less noisy and consumes less power.

Anyway, I think William owes me a pint!

Dave

drkir...@swan:~/64/sage-4.5.rc1$ file ./local/bin/python
./local/bin/python: ELF 64-bit MSB executable SPARCV9 Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
drkir...@swan:~/64/sage-4.5.rc1$ ./sage
| Sage Version 4.5.rc1, Release Date: 2010-07-14 |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information. |
* *
* Warning: this is a prerelease version, and it may be unstable. *
* *
sage: import sys; sys.maxsize
9223372036854775807
sage: factor(2**127-1) # A Mersenne prime
170141183460469231731687303715884105727
sage: factor(2**173-1) # Known to be composite
730753 * 1505447 * 70084436712553223 * 155285743288572277679887
sage: