> IMHO, we need a benchmark to benchmark a large part of Sage, then
> compare that from release to release and see if there are any
> significant changes.

+1 but... Is there any existing automatic way to do that ? For example
through plugging a few lines of script in Sphinx, which is already
scanning all the examples ?

It would be very, very nice but if we have to do it by ourselves it
would mean a lot of work... Not to mean a lot of worries, as
benchmarks has some part of randomness, as the computers WE are using
sometimes change, etc... But I recently got more and more interested
in code optimization, and I would really like to see how our
functions' speed is changing over th releases !

Nathann