On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 7:21 PM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 15 July 2010 22:15, Carl Witty <carl.wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Carl Witty <carl.wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> One very simple change might be easier to implement/use.  How about if
>>> there were both a "share" button and a "publish" button, and these
>>> went in to separate sections?  I'm guessing that people asking for
>>> help with an error message, etc., would be perfectly happy to choose
>>> "share" rather than "publish".
>>
>> Of course, now that I actually look at the notebook, I see that such
>> buttons already exist.  Sorry for the noise.
>>
>> Carl
>
> They are different though. If you "share" a document you "share" it
> with a number of people, but not the whole world. If you "publish" it,
> anyone with access to the server can see it. The problem I find is
> that many "published" documents are just rubbish. It does not give a
> good impression to see a ton of bad examples of Sage usage published.
>
> I think it would be better i there were some read-only "demonstrations
> of good Sage usage", like there for Mathematica.
>
> http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/
>
> I don't see any poor examples of Mathematica usage on the Wolfram
> Demonstrations pages, but we allow any old junk to be published.
> Perhaps the notebook should have on the front page, something like:
>
> * Demonstrations (examples of good Sage usage)
> * Publicly viewable documents (quality varies considerably).
>
> Put 100 demonstrations in the Sage distribution, and make them read-only.
>
> One tends to equate "published" with good quality, but in practice the
> published documents can be true junk. This looks like an attempt to
> spam, though it was not very effective.
>
> http://t2nb.math.washington.edu:8000/home/pub/20/

The design of this "publish/share" aspect of the Sage notebook is
nearly an exact clone of Google docs "publish/share", at least circa
2007.   The one difference is that google docs doesn't have a way to
browse the list of published documents -- the url's it provides for
them are stable urls for the users to post elsewhere.

Thus we could also just make the list of published worksheet not
browsable at all by default, with the one simple change of removing
the "Browse published worksheets" link from the front page.
Obviously, before doing that, we would need to find some good
replacements for the things people do sometimes use that page for,
which is:
       (1) go into a room full of students, and
       (2) point them at http://server/pub
       (3) have them click on the worksheets for today.

A customized pub per users might work to replace this, e.g.,

   http://server/pub/stein

would list the worksheets I've selected somehow...

Another solution would be to be able to easily publish bundles of
several worksheets together.  Then you just tell the students to look
at

   http://sever/pub/1234

for all the workhseets for today.

--