On 8/2/10 6:40 PM, kcrisman wrote:

On Aug 2, 7:59 pm, cousteau<cousteaulecommand...@gmail.com>  wrote:

3. BODE DIAGRAMS
Well, ok, maybe when I tried to plot a bode diagram I didn't research
much on the graphics array point, but there's still missing a way to
make the X axis have a logarithmic scale (without replacing x with

Yes, this is easy in matplotlib (see import pylab in various
examples), but unfortunately languishes as not having been interfaced
in Sage yet.

This is usually the point where kcrisman elbows me about reviewing

for setting tick labels however you want, and

for doing logarithmic scales.

(help wanted and welcome!)

(Another alternate syntax would be using a semicolon inside a list:
"[1,2;3,4]", or "[1,2,3;]" for row matrices; it's more Matlab-like but
it still has the same problem... although there are already some cases
such as "list(1..10)" that don't look like valid Python)

This seems more reasonable, since we already have the Maple-esque
1..10 syntax, as you noted, which is VERY helpful to many of us.

What do you think of William's idea of matrix() taking a string?

matrix('1,2,3; 4,5,6')

which can easily be shortened:

m=matrix
m('1,2,3;4,5,6')

Numpy supports this, for example.

6. TRANSPOSE/CONJUGATE
It seems that implementing this would just involve modifying the
__pos__(self) method for complexes, matrices and complex matrices, and
I think that both conjugating and transposing are common enough
operations to deserve its own operator.

Numpy has:

m.T for transpose
m.H for hermitian
m.I for inverse

(see http://www.scipy.org/NumPy_for_Matlab_Users)

I think it would be great if we had similar shortcuts.

Finally, having multiple interfaces to Sage would be a great thing!
The notebook is great for many educational and research purposes, the
command line for others, and why not one for engineering/programming?
Are there any IDE candidates which could have a different system like
Sage 'plugged in' without much effort?

+1. I think building on the existing notebook might be better than starting fresh (e.g., the proposal to make codemirror an interface sounds great). Also, I think a stand-alone IDE might make a lot of sense, though as web browsers are getting more and more capable, a stand-alone IDE is becoming less attractive.

Thanks,

Jason