On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 5:17 PM, CJ Fearnley <c...@cjfearnley.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 05:44:32PM -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>> But now the situation is a bit different. Are we sure that we have all
>> the deps of sagemath packaged into Debian? If the answer is yes, then
>> I am happy to start with 4.5 right away.
>
> I spent some time analyzing the components of sage-4.5.2 which was released
> recently.  I looked at http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/ and
> http://www.sagemath.org/links-components.html and used packages.debian.org to
> see what we have available.  Here is my first cut assessment:
>
>  * eclib is Sage's packaging of mwrank.  Neither eclib nor mwrank are
>   in Debian.  Upstream has not changed in ages.  I do not know of any
>   other software that depends on eclib besides sage.  So we /might/
>   be able to use sage's code/packaging and skip packaging it for Debian.
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/eclib-20080310.p10.txt

I've cc'd upstream = John Cremona, in case he wants to comment.

>  * Cephes Mathematical Library.  Not in Debian.  I cannot find any licensing
>   statement upstream nor in Sage's SPKG.  I think it is free, but
>   debian-{policy,legal} will complain if we try to package this.
>   Maybe we should lobby for its removal from sage?  Or maybe the license
>   issues can be resolved?  Or Debian's sage may just need to skip it?
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/cephes-2.8.txt

This is only currently needed on Cygwin.  It will never be needed for
Debian.  Don't bother with it for Debian.

>  * Cliquer.  Needs a Debian package.
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/cliquer-1.2.p5.txt
>  * Data files.  I think we can ship the following SPKG's as part of Sage and
>   do not need to package them for Debian, since they appear to be data files
>   only:
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/conway_polynomials-0.2.txt
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/elliptic_curves-0.1.txt
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/examples-4.5.2.txt
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/extcode-4.5.2.txt
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/graphs-20070722.p1.txt
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/polytopes_db-20100210.txt
>  * extcode:  a miscellany.  Appears to have Tim's debian subdirectory for
>   building the package, jsMath, and tons of other stuff.  Most (all?) of
>   it is not a problem (jsMath is already in Debian, but which version
>   is included in Sage is not clear to me), but some things may require
>   finding upstream and building a Debian package.  More work needed.
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/extcode-4.5.2.txt
>  * f2c:  Debian (20090411-1+b1) is way newer than Sage (20070816.p2).
>   We might need to push Sage to upgrade.
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/f2c-20070816.p2.txt

I think we only include f2c because of Scipy.

>  * flintqs (SIMPQS):  this seems to be part of flint (in Debian but old
>   version, see below) but Sage distributes it as a separate SPKG.
>   Uggh, my brain hurts.

When we included this in Sage, FLINT didn't exist.   I've cc'd Bill
Hart in case he wants to comment (again) about this.
I think the upshot is that FlintQS should be removed as a separate
package, though this could require substantial work
due to how Sage uses qsieve.  I'm not sure.

>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/flintqs-20070817.p5.txt
>  * gdmodule.  Needs a Debian package.
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/gdmodule-0.56.p7.txt
>  * opencdk.  This ships as part of gnutls.  However, sage's fork differs
>   quite a bit from the code in gnutls.  Do we need a package or is it
>   part of gnutls with no work needed?  I don't know.

I think we only ship it since we need it in order to get GNUTLS, which
we only need
in order to provide a secure SSL mode for the Sage notebook.  One
could also just use
openssl and completely get rid of the whole GNUTLS if Debian ships it
as a system library
and somehow dances around the non-GPL-compatible nature of OpenSSL.
Making it easy to
switch from GNUTLS to openssl for the Sage notebook would require a
tiny amount of work by
a notebook developers.

>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/opencdk-0.6.6.p5.txt

>  * ratpoints.  Needs a Debian package.
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/ratpoints-2.1.3.p1.txt

>  * rubiks.  I think these three upstream "packages" are too small to
>   package for Debian.  I recommend using sage's source for them.
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/rubiks-20070912.p12.txt
>  * scipy_sandbox.  Seems to include a few optional/experimental scipy
>   packages.  They do not appear to be in Debian, but are probably too small
>   to warrant separate packages.
>   o http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/scipy_sandbox-20071020.p5.txt
>
> New versions needed in Debian:
>  * I submitted http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=592349
>   since libflint is out of date
>  * I submitted http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=592349
>   since libfplll0 is out of date
>  * I submitted http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=592425
>   since gfan is out of date
>  * I submitted http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=592426
>   since lcalc is out of date
>  * I submitted http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=592429
>   since m4ri is out of date
>  * I did not go through all dependencies comprehensively looking for
>   Sage/Debian version mismatch issues.  More work needed.
>
> I believe everything else is either already in Debian or is really just
> a Sage SPKG that we can and should treat as upstream source.  So the
> library situation is not too bad:  most of the upstreams are actively
> maintained in Debian already!
>
> I might have enough bandwidth to package gdmodule.  Anyone want ratpoints
> or Cliquer?  Anyone see how to handle the headaches that I identified?
>
> --
> CJ Fearnley                 |   LinuxForce Inc.
> c...@linuxforce.net          |   IT Projects & Systems Maintenance
> http://www.LinuxForce.net   |   http://blog.remoteresponder.net

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics