I'm curious about the intent behind the "Milestone" field in
Trac tickets. It appears (at least for tickets I've been
interested in) that this field is always set to whatever the
next coming release is. Then, after that release is done, the
milestone is (automatically?) bumped up to the next expected
release number.

In other words, as far as I can tell, the milestone field does
not actually give any indication of when that particular bug
is expected to be worked on.

It seems (to me, at least) that it would be more helpful if
the milestone was set to "unknown", or something like that,
as the default. Then it would actually contain useful
information.

Or, perhaps I'm misunderstanding what the intent of that
field might be?

-Mike