On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 7:27 PM, N. J. A. Sloane <n...@research.att.com> wrote:
> Announcement, Nov 17 2010: New Version of OEIS!
>
> After 2 years of struggle, there is a new version of the
> On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences (the OEIS).
> There are two parts: the main OEIS page, oeis.org,
> which has all the sequence data, and a wiki, oeis.org/wiki,
> which has discussion pages.
>
> To contribute a new sequence or edit a sequence, you must first register
> with oeis.org/wiki - click Register, enter your real name in 2 places,
> enter your email address, etc. When you get issued a password,
> go to the main page, oeis.org, and login with the same user name
> and password.

Hi,

A strongly urge anybody considering registering at the OEIS site to
carefully read the new "OEIS conributor's license agreement", which
you are forced to agree to when you register, even if you submit
nothing.   In it, you'll find: ""Contribution" shall mean any past,
present or future original work of authorship, including any
modifications or additions to an existing work, that is intentionally
submitted by You to the Foundation, or has been previously submitted
by You to the Foundation or any predecessor version of the OEIS, for
inclusion in, the OEIS.".      That's not necessarily so bad in
itself.  However...

If you read further you'll also learn at
http://oeis.org/wiki/The_OEIS_End-User_License_Agreement  that there
are now new and very significant restrictions on using OEIS content:
"To make copies, distribute, make Adaptations and make copies of and
distribute the Adaptations, of no more than 5% of the OEIS Content".
This is in sharp contrast to how OEIS was before, where, e.g., there
was a file  http://oeis.org/stripped.gz  that contained the sequences
themselves.  (This matters to me, since we make them available for
Sage, with a nice interface.)  This was an incredibly useful tool,
since it meant that even without internet access (or in a secure
closed network), one could do searches of OEIS, which is in my opinion
a critical research tool that was built partly by the effort of the
community (you).   Distribution of this stripped.gz file now appears
to be illegal.

I think the recent direction OEIS is going in is unfortunate.  It's
the exact opposite of how, e.g., Wikipedia operates.  Anybody can
mirror Wikipedia content, there is a complete 6GB tarball you can
download that contains all article, etc.

So before signing up for an account, and signing away the rights to
all data or sequences you've submitted, please consider the above.

I will not be registering or contributing to OEIS until the license changes.

 -- William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics