Wow, that question got people interested!

Checking a few books myself I was struck by how many advanced texts
avoid using the term at all (for the adjugate or classical adjoint).

P M Cohn's Algebra 1 defines adjugate (p.196).

Maclana and Birkhoff (p.194) call it the "classical adjoint".

Aposotol's Calculus (which is very good on linear algebra!) has a
footnote "In much of the matrix literature the transpose of the
cofactor matrix is called the adjugate of A.  Some of the older
literature calls it the adjoint of A.  However, current nomenclature
reserves the name adjoint for an entirely different object..."

John