After months of threats, I finally have a toolchain of conversion
software working acceptably and have begun adding actual Sage content
to open source textbooks.  At

http://wiki.sagemath.org/devel/LatexToWorksheet

you will find:

1.  In the Examples section, the first chapter of my linear algebra
textbook as a zip file of Sage worksheets with advice and examples for
using Sage in the study of linear algebra.

2.  Corresponding PDF with Sage code rendered by SageTeX.

3.  A table tracking the necessary or desirable Sage patches to
support this project.  Thanks to the folks who have been helping with
these.

I also have Tom Judson's abstract algebra text totally converting to
Sage worksheets, and in a month or so will probably begin adding in
Sage code to that.  Find the whole book as worksheets in a zip file in
the Examples section.

I'll try to update the status of the tickets regularly and will update
the textbook as I complete chapters.

(I've cross-posted to sage-devel from sage-edu, sorry for the noise.)