Hi Luis!

On 15 Dez., 14:55, luisfe <lftab...@yahoo.es> wrote:
> It would not be more convenient for these cases a FAQ about sage?

Perhaps in addition. How many people read the FAQ *before*
programming?

var("z") produces a "variable", and the generators of a polynomial
ring are also frequently called "variable". I can understand that
people would think it is all the same, and would not expect that they
consult the FAQ on that matter!

> I can imagine that, once a user has learned how variables are used,
> the user will become annoyed by warnings each time a polynomial ring
> is created, even if the warning is only issued once per session.

This is why I suggest the scenario "the ring constructor prints a
warning if the variable name is not a string": QQ[x] or
PolynomialRing(QQ,[singular],1) would result in a warning, but the
*intended* use QQ['x'] or R.<singular>=QQ[] would be OK.

Cheers,
Simon