On Dec 16, 2010, at 08:50 , Robert Bradshaw wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Justin C. Walker <jus...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 16, 2010, at 02:55 , Volker Braun wrote:
>>
>>> Works for me:
>>>
>>> sage: X=Integer(54)
>>> sage: sqrt(X,prec=100)
>>> 7.3484692283495342945918522241
>>> sage: X=RDF('3.14')
>>> sage: sqrt(X,prec=100)
>>> 1.7720045146669350752850780727
>>
>> That works for me as well.  After posting, I checked further, and found what
>> you found.  What doesn't work is using this expression in a .py file in the
>> Sage library.  I get the deprecation warning when I invoke the code that
>> contains this expression.
>
> What sqrt function are you using?

from sage.misc.functional import sqrt

After a bit of pawing over source, I settled on
    D.sqrt(prec=n)
which, at least, avoids the warning.  I'll have to figure out whether it really
works.

There are a disconcerting number of sqrt() definitions in the source...

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker
Curmudgeon at Large