Right now, CHomP is an experimental spkg for Sage.  I propose that it
be optional instead.

is a collection of software for homology computation.  It includes
both command-line functions and a C++ library.

Note that it computes homology much more quickly than Sage's own
routines, sometimes by a factor of 100 or more.

License: version 2 of GNU GPL

Web page: http://chomp.rutgers.edu

I'm willing to be the maintainer of the spkg for the required length
of time (2 years?).

With the patch at <http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/9942>, if
I run

  ./sage -tp 0 -long -only-optional=chomp devel/sage

then all tests pass on every machine I've tried:

sage.math
two mac OS X 10.6 boxes
t2.math
hawk (David Kirkby's OpenSolaris on x86 machine)
skynet machines cicero, eno, flavius, fulvia, lena, mark, sextus,
taurus (I can't get Sage to compile on iras or cleo, so I don't know
about those.)

So I think the spkg is in pretty good shape.  If you're willing to
vote for this, you might consider reviewing patch #9942; it should be
pretty easy once you install CHomP...

I think making a package optional requires a vote, so vote here.

--
John