On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:39 PM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>> Just for fun, here's what the TIOBE-using-only-google results are for
>> our niche world of math software:
>>
>>  language   hits for +"language programming"
>>
>>   Octave    8320
>>   Sage        3180
>>   GAP         2780
>>   Singular    2090
>>   Axiom       1150
>>   Scilab        863
>>   Maxima     818
>>   Magma      566
>>   Pari           334
>>   Kash            10
>>   Macaulay2   3
>>   Fricas           3
>>   OpenAxiom  0
>>

>> NOTE: Looking at results, GAP has way more false positives than Sage,
>> since "gap" is a common word that can occur in the context of
>> programming, e.g. "Bridging the Gap: Programming Sensor Networks with
>> applications" is on the first page.
>>
>> William
>
> I would expect Sage has a lot of false positives too, due to the
> accounting package.

Boothby:
>FYI, any time that I search for any sort of statistics term and Sage,
>I get lots of hits at the SAGE publications site.

Try doing the google search for +"sage programming".  Surprisingly, on
the first two pages of results there aren't hits for either the Sage
accounting software or the Sage publisher.  I think "programming"
reduces the number of those.    There are other false positives
though.   E.g., there  is the Sage programming language!!
http://sage.soe.ucsc.edu/   "Sage is a prototype functional
programming language designed to provide high-coverage checking of
expressive program specifications (types). Sage allows a programmer to
specify not only simple types such as "Integers" and "Strings" but
also..."   I hope Bill Hart runs off and learns it so he can tell us
if it is useful for something :-).

 -- William

--
William Stein